Thursday, January 13, 2005

Vietnam Photo Journal

Part II of the photo journal is Vietnam. All of these pictures are from Hanoi, which is the big city in the north. I'm embarrassed to say I don't even know if it's the capital, or if that's Ho Chi Minh in the south. I'll find out. I also spent some time in Nha Trang and Hoi An, two cities further south.


Ha Long bay, near Hanoi, Vietnam. The view from the steps to the cave.


Me and my backyard - Ha Long Bay.


Our luxurious Junk.


Relaxing at the Puku cafe. From left it's Steffi (the German), Michelle (the Scott), Me (the Martian) and Veronica (the Canadian). Puku was so wonderfully chill and had good food, friendly people and funky music. I spent many hours there reading Grisham pulp.


A railway that passes right through a narrow residential road.


The delicious Tamarind cafe, where we ate far too many meals because it was veggie and we had many vegetarians and it was cheap. Steffi and Veronica are accosted by one of the ubiquitous fruit merchants who walk the streets. Michelle observes, amused.


A busy but normal street in Hanoi. I almost got hit by a motorcycle that day. She stopped with the tire touching my toe.


Unsanitary meat. I guess that was my lunch the next day.


Michelle, Steffi and Veronica eating on the street. Dirty-licious!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool pictures.

Anonymous said...

kool pix
da
It really is unusually beatiful and I can see why people want to visit and experience the view. I never realized how lovely the vista was.

A Boylan said...

Claire I don't know this Anthony Bourdain of whom you speak. Is he highly recommended? I only read highly recommended things now so as not to waste time. Such as John Grisham. Right.

Da, I doubt you'll be reading this reply to your comment, but you really should spell cool with a 'c'. Using a 'k' was a brief phase somewhere in the late eighties, I think. Also, pics. Koolness police aside, Hooray! Thanks for commenting!