Monday, January 31, 2005

Pinning rampant combatants with mere mind control

Childishly sudden pitch variation on vocals and trumpets, up and down like a stereolab track, especially with trumpet accompaniment plays in the background, and I can't tell whether they're singing in French or Japanese, because it's the sweetest sounding Japanese I've ever heard. But whoever expected the sudden strum of a harp? As the other song says, the jingle of a dog's collar would go well right here, and I think I understand their whimsical sentiment, if not their musical choice. But this band is all loved.

Claire, I don't know if your band has whimsical trumpets or otherwise trumpets, but may I suggest them? And also, who would ever call an album "Bitches Brew"? But he was a genius and must be excused, and now this is just another musical side note, like that Orff was a sympathizer and Wagner was a downright nazi, and maybe that can be heard in their music of power and destructive perfect tenths.

A teacher and a student came to near fisticuffs before my eyes today, and all I could do was say "calm down, calm down... " and get ready to pin the kid if he should start swinging. Really poor control over the students here... not what I expected in Japan.

Must catch up on sleep lost to Saturday night's 11:30 to 5:30am karaoke session in Kyoto...

oyasuminasai minasan

1 comment:

Crissy Calhoun said...

Questions:
what do you sing when you do karaoke?
how long are you now planning on staying in japan teaching?
are you still thinking about grad school?