Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Rowing Your Boat

Today I taught Row, Row, Row Your Boat to the developmentally disabled class. It consists of four, sometimes five students, all but one are boys. Who knew that I had such a lovely singing voice? I think I'm a tenor. And yet, those high notes, like when the "merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily" kicks in, there's usually some voice cracking. I've got one of those voices that is neither high enough nor low enough for singing. Limited range. But still - whoah - good singing. The kids were good too, I guess.

Ahhh. I would never have guessed that I'd be singing the rowboat and Old Macdonald when I finished my degree. And reading Foucault in my spare time. That bugger is difficult. Oh yes, my history of images professor, Paul Rutherford, said he'd recommend me for a graduate program in communication/media studies. This is heartening mainly because it means that the other profs whose recommendations I despaired of getting will probably recommend me. I had more interaction with Tafarodi, O'Conner and Bagby than I did with Rutherford, and I think their recommendations will paint a more flattering picture of me. Oh this is exciting! I sometimes think of what graduate school will be like, and the opportunities it will open up. I basically conduct my own course of post-graduate studies right now, so I won't be too disappointed if I don't make it in.

1 comment:

A Boylan said...

Claire, Claire, Claire... I know it's not like getting a degree in engineering, but it's what I'm interested in - as I'm sure you explained to the people who told you not to do a masters in communications at LSE. So what do you want to do with your life?? I'm aiming for polymath.