Monday, September 27, 2004

First Post

I'll post more later, because right now Mae is making dinner two apartments over and I'm invited!

... a few hours later ...

To use that most favourite descriptor of Japanese food conversation, the meal was delicious. I made garlic bread and Mae created a dish of pasta and vegetables that would only be done justice if it had it's own name. I'll call it pasta al Mae. With a base of spaggetti, this dish was elevated with the subtle aromas of fresh basil and a healthy sauteeing of garlic. The texture of the slightly crisp yet soft eggplant was rare to encounter, and entirely delightful. Green pepper, baby tomatoes and mozzarella cheese rounded out this scrumptious adventure in Italian ad libitum. I feel like I just wrote a food column. The dinner overshadowed the conversation, which seemed to be lulled by either sleepiness or unease. I'll chalk it up to sleepiness as I've had good talks with Mae in the past. But of course, I offered to do the dishes. Yet she stoically refused, a number of times, and so I left her with coffee pocky and a sinkload of dishes, just the way she likes it.

No comments: